If creamed spinach is missing from your life since cutting out the dairy, then look no further!
You are never, let me repeat that, NEVER going to regret taking the time to make this (it only takes time if you have to make the cashew butter. If you have some prepped, or bought, then this is a breeze).
The original idea that sparked this was from Naturally Nutritious Living, though I’ve made a few omissions/changes to mine.
Recipe for Paleo Cashew Creamed Spinach
Yield: 3-4 servings
Prep time: 5 minutes (more if making nut butter)
Cooking time: 5-10 minutes
What you need
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 cup sliced mushrooms
1/2 teaspoon ghee
1 tablespoon olive oil
2-3 cups spinach, chopped
For the sauce
1/3 cup cashew nut butter
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
Pinch of Himalayan salt
1 teaspoon dried origanum (sage or thyme, or mixed herbs would work)
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or more according to your taste
2 cups water
What you need to do
1. Prepare your sauce first by adding all the ingredients (except the water) to a mixing jug or bowl. Add 1/4 cup of water at a time, mixing well between each addition to create a smooth consistency. You may use a touch more or less than the 2 cups so use your discretion. Set aside.
2. In you pan, add ghee and olive oil. Once the ghee has melted, add your garlic and fry for about 30 seconds.
2. Add the mushrooms. Sautée until softened.
3. Now add the cashew sauce and keep stirring. It does thicken up so you may need more water but careful not to make it runny.
4. Turn off the heat and add chopped spinach and stir it all together.
Don’t forget to follow my blog and stay up to date by signing up via email, like the Living Spot Facebook page , on Twitter @LivingSpotBlog, or Instagram @Living_Spot_Blog.
Please note: if you’d like to use and share my recipes or content, go ahead! Please just link back to the original post when you do so though. Photographs cannot be used without my permission. Thanks!