As I type this, I’ve got my heater on next to me and a hot water bottle against my back. I’m COLD!! The only remedy for this is a hearty, soul-warming, nourishing stew. This is a very basic and simple version but I love keeping it simple! You can add your choice of veggies and accompaniments and build up from this recipe. Have you read my post about weekly meal prepping? This would be a great example of something that can be cooked ahead and then either refrigerated or frozen in portions.
What you need
1.5kg stewing beef, cut into bite sized pieces
1 onion, sliced
2-3 celery stalks, chopped
2 carrots, chopped
2 tomatoes, chopped
2 tspns dried herbs (I use origanum and rosemary)
Salt and pepper to taste
What you need to do
1. Cut and clean your meat. Set aside.
2. Add olive/coconut oil to your pot, over medium-high heat, and add sliced onion.
4. Once the onion has softened and just started browning, add the carrots and celery to the pot.
7. At this point, I swap from stove top to oven. I use a cast iron pot so it’s a simple matter of just putting it all as is into a preheated oven (150°C), and letting it cook for a few hours. (A slow cooker would be a great thing but I don’t own one!) You could continue on the stove by turning the heat right down, covering with a lid, and letting it cook slowly – just check the water levels every so often.
8. After about 2.5 hours, remove from oven and add some extra veggies if you want to (this time, green beans and mushrooms).
9. Give it all a good mix. Now would be a good time to have a little taste for salt.
11. Remove from oven – done!
Serve up with your choice of accompaniment; I had this with my sweet potato and broccoli cakes … Yummy!!