These sweet potatoes and broccoli cakes are not only paleo-friendly, but also a great way to get the kids eating more greens!
Here’s the thing – I love sweet potatoes! If you haven’t garnered that already from my hash browns to my pancakes… Well, let me just say it like it is. I wanted something to accompany my beef stew and although mash would be fine, it just seemed a tad boring. I had some prepped broccoli ‘rice’ so decided to add that to the mix. These turned out great – with a tiny amount of coconut flour to coat them (this is purely for good colour and aesthetics when fried, it is entirely unnecessary if you’re limiting your use of flours).
Recipe for Paleo Sweet Potato and Broccoli Cakes
Yield: around 4-5 small, palm sized cakes
What you need
1 cup sweet potato, mashed
1/2 cup broccoli, grated
Salt and pepper to taste
Pinch of dried herbs (I used origanum)
What you need to do
1. Steam and mash the sweet potato.
2. Grate the broccoli (I just whizzed it through the food processor). Add to mash.
3. Add seasoning and herbs. Mix well until combined.
4. Using your hands, make into palm-sized cakes. Heat oil in frying pan. If using coconut flour, dust the cakes lightly now to give them a thin coating. Fry.
5. Done! You can serve it as a side dish to accompany just about anything (or like I did – I just splashed on some Tabasco sauce, and munched away!!).
Really, really delish!! Enjoy!
Don’t forget to follow my blog and stay up to date by signing up via email, like the Living Spot Facebook page, on Twitter @LivingSpotBlog, or Instagram @Living_Spot_Blog.
Please note: if you’d like to use and share my recipes or content, go ahead! Please just link back to the original post when you do so though. Photographs cannot be used without my permission. Thanks!