Here’s a quick recipe – individual little lasagnas which are 100% big on flavour. You could of course make a large ‘one dish’ lasagna out of this too (the cooking times would thus vary but marginally so). I wanted to make this with a ‘low carb pasta’ recipe I found in the Real Meal Revolution book made with cream cheese but after adding a bit of milk to my tea and not feeling too great (tummy cramps etc) I decided to hang ten on the dairy addition; back to the paleo friendly courgette!
There are a few components that need to be prepared separately but in total, this took me no longer than 20 minutes to prepare, from scratch (that includes a few distractions from a very busy 2 year old!!). If you have some bits pre-prepped, all the better for you as it can probably be thrown together in under 10 minutes. This is the ideal go-to, mid-week meal fit for the entire family.
What you need
Yield: 2 individual portions of lasagna
For the chicken sauce:
2-3 chicken breasts
1 cup tomato passata
Dried herbs of your choice (I used origanum)
Salt and pepper to taste
For the ‘lasagna’:
2-3 courgettes, made into strips (I used a potato peeler)
For the cashew ‘cheese’ topping:
1 tspn cashew butter
2-3 tblspns water
1/2 tspn mustard powder
Sprinkle of nutritional yeast (optional, for the topping)
What you need to do
1. Preheat your oven to 200°C. Start with the chicken sauce. Heat oil in a pan, add chopped onion. Once sweated off, add chicken, cut into small pieces. Cook for about 5 minutes until the colour changes and it browns slightly. Add passata and seasoning. Cook for a further 7-10 minutes.
2. Prepare your courgette strips. Line your dish with a layer of these strips.
3. Layer some of the cooked chicken sauce over the courgette strips.
4. Add another layer of courgette.
5. Mix the ingredients for the cashew cheese. Be sure to incorporate the water in small amounts at a time to prevent lumps! Pour over the top of the courgette layer. Sprinkle with nutritional yeast if using.
6. Bake for around 10 – 15 minutes. The sauce will bubble over so use a tray underneath to keep your oven clean!! Remove from oven, allow to cool slightly, serve. A great big crunchy salad would be ideal!
I know I say this a lot but this was really yum!! Enjoy!