This would have to be one of my favourites. I had no idea where the meal was headed (I kinda just ran with it here) but I’m super chuffed at the results. It’s absolutely delicious, budget friendly, and definitely a must-try. This is all real food that’s just soooooo good!
Now you do need a bit of time for this one because the meat does need to be cooked for a couple of hours to become tender and succulent, or if you have a slow cooker, then that’d work a treat. The method however is very simple!
As always, a breakdown of the costs of the main ingredients:
Stewing beef: R28.30 (bought a pack weighing just under 600g)
Pack of carrots: approx R3 (I only used 3 carrots out of the bag which cost R5.99)
Bunch of spinach: R6.99
1kg bag of sweet potatoes: R9.99
That brings the total to R48.28. Now that is pretty awesome.
Recipe for the Paleo Beef and Carrot Stew
Yield: 4 servings
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 2 hours
What you need
1-2tblspns olive/coconut oil
1 onion, chopped
1 tspn chopped garlic
approx 600g stewing beef (cut into small pieces)
3 large carrots, sliced
1 tspn mustard powder
Salt and pepper to taste
1 + 1/4 cup water (you can use stock)
What you need to do
1. Heat oil in a pot, over medium-high heat. Add onions, fry for. Few minutes, then add the garlic.
2. Once softened and lightly browned, add the beef. Fry until browned, add the mustard powder, mix well, and lower the heat. Add the cup of water.
3. Cover the pot and allow to simmer for about an hour and a half (check the water levels occasionally – it should start reducing but not until the beef is burnt!).
4. Add the sliced carrots, season, and about 1/4 cup more water. Cover and allow carrots to soften.
5. You can remove the lid and allow the sauce to reduce more if necessary but this is according to yor taste.
For the sweet potatoes, all I did was cut them, seasoned with salt, pepper and dried rosemary, splash of olive oil, and baked!
For the spinach, there’s nothing but spinach and some seasoning – including a sprinkle of nutmeg.
It is so simple, but it is so good!
Don’t forget to follow my blog and stay up to date by signing up via email, like the Living Spot Facebook page , on Twitter @LivingSpotBlog, or Instagram @Living_Spot_Blog.
Please note: If you’d like to share anything on my blog, please do! All I ask is that you link back to my original post 🙂 Thanks!